The Urge Strikes Self-Help Tool
We’ve developed a powerful in-the-moment tool called The Urge Strikes that you can use, in real time, when the urge to shop or spend strikes.
The Urge Strikes is a guided self-help tool that can help you significantly reduce your overshopping and overspending. When you purchase the tool, you are given a code to access the tool, which resides within an app called Mentegram.
When you have an urge or you find yourself beginning to shop, you open the Mentegram app and use The Urge Strikes guided self-help tool.
Using The Urge Strikes Guided Self-Help Tool:
- You’ll investigate and assess the strength of your urge, your mood, your thoughts and feelings, triggers, and potential consequences of your proposed purchase.
- You’ll identify your authentic needs and think about how you might meet those needs positively, even in a small way, right in the moment, rather than succumbing to a self-defeating over shopping urge.
- You’ll also be prompted to ask yourself and answer six critical questions that will help you develop the ability to take a pause and make more mindful decisions when the urge strikes.
You’ll have access to this tool 24/7 on your phone, tablet, or your computer for 3 months. Using this powerful and effective instrument, you’ll be able to monitor your proposed purchase calmly and rationally. It will take just a few minutes, and the time, energy, and money you’ll save by pausing and thinking this through will be well worth it.
What is the cost?
The fee for the Urge Strikes Guided Self-help tool is $39.95 for three months of unlimited use of the tool.
What if I want more individualized help?
If you want more individualized help, we offer guided self-help coaching for use with the Urge Strikes Guided Self-Help tool.
What will we provide in Guided Self-Help Coaching?
When you sign up for guided self-help coaching through Stopping Overshopping, this is what you’ll get:
- 24/7 access on your phone, tablet, or computer for three months to The Urge Strikes, a Guided self-help tool that can help you significantly reduce your overshopping and overspending.
- An initial survey which will increase your awareness and help us to better understand your overshopping issues and get to know you more quickly.
- A 45-minute guided self-help coaching consult (via telephone or videoconference) with our Clinical Coordinator, Marcela Torres, LCSW, who will have carefully reviewed your initial survey and each of your Urge Strikes responses before the consult. Marcela has over 10 years of experience successfully using the Stopping Overshopping Program with individuals and groups.
- During your consult, you and Marcela will assess the current status of your overshopping by reviewing all the information you have provided on your survey and on each of your Urge Strikes questionnaires.
- The two of you will develop an action plan, which will be emailed to you after the session. The action plan will include tools and recommendations specifically geared to where you are now, how best to reinforce any progress you’ve already made, and how to move even farther in the direction of stopping overshopping.
- Any worksheets that relate to the specific tools and strategies that your Action Plan recommends will be emailed to you as well.
What Will You Provide?
- A completed initial survey within one week of enrolling in the program.
- At least 5 completed The Urge Strikes self-monitoring tools, completed within two weeks of enrolling.
- 45 uninterrupted, mutually convenient minutes for your Guided Self-Help Coaching Consult with Marcela Torres. The consult needs to be held within one month of your enrolling.
- You will need a copy of April Benson’s book, To Buy or Not to Buy: Why We Overshop and How To Stop, to carry out your action plan. If you don’t have the book and want to purchase it now, click here.
What is the Cost?
The fee for the Guided Self-Help Live Urge Strikes Coaching Package is $299.
What if I don’t know if I want individual Guided Self-Help coaching?
You can purchase the use of The Urge Strikes tool and if you decide that you want to add Guided Self-Help coaching within three months of enrolling, we will credit the entire purchase price of the tool toward the coaching fee.
Carrie Rattle is a Principal at BehavioralCents.com, a website for women focused on mind and money behaviors. She has worked in the financial services industry for 20+ years and hopes to inspire women to better prepare themselves for financial independence.